December 10, 2018 - 6 days ago
Well, it was another HUGE year for Urban Rec and we could not be more proud of this little sports club and what we have achieved.
December 6th also marked our 7th birthday, and it’s always nice to look back to how far we have come in seven short years. Starting as a humble touch footy comp in Glebe, and we now have over 12,000+ members across Australia – we feel like we might just be onto something.
Here is a re-cap of what has happened this year within the walls of UR HQ.
Social Events and Tournaments
- Adventure Golf Day
- Superbowl Tournament
- Blacklight Dodgeball
- City 2 Surf
- Handball Tournament
- Return to Recess Day
- Activation BBQ’s with Frank Strong
New locations and leagues
- First full year in Canberra
- Launched new sports at All Sorts Indoor Sports
- Our new venue at PCYC Redfern
- Sunday Softball in Marrickville
- Touch Footy in Centennial Park
- Flag Gridiron on the North Shore
- 7’s Netball in Moore Park Mondays
Perks and fun stuff for our members
- Introduced pub nights
- New partnership with Funlab (The people behind, Skyzone, Holy Moley, and Strike Bowling)
- Partnership with Secret Cities
- Prizes for Captains
- Multiple fancy dress nights too many to count
- New Clubhouses
- Formed the Social Committee
- Ran weekly giveaways with our Partners on Facebook
- Sydney – with 109 leagues, 745 teams, 1099 individuals.
- Canberra – with 21 leagues, and 125 teams, 243 individuals.
- Madeleine our Aussie founder celebrated 7 years of working for UR, and also managed to have a baby!
- Lindsay our League Manager celebrates 3 years with Urban Rec, and became a Master Diving instructor.
- Danny our Member Experience Manager celebrates his first year with Urban Rec, and also got engaged!
- Donald celebrates 1 year running Urban Rec Canberra, and quit his day job!
What does 2019 hold
The future is golden and we love to set new goals. The mission is to get Urban Rec in as many locations as possible. We want to continue to be inclusive, fun. We want to get as many people as possible playing sports and being active not only on the pitch, but active in their social circles too.
- We want to partner with a beer company, to make our drinking habit on brand!
- New leagues in Hills District
- Watch out Northern NSW
- Flagship social events as well as more smaller events with our partner venues
- Launch a tenpin bowling league in the city